Today is the 2 year anniversary of chinaSMACK, and this is our 700th post! Since our 1 year anniversary, we have more than doubled our monthly visits from ~220,000 to nearly 600,000 per month, and now average ~1.5 million pageviews per month. More importantly, we still have a very active community of commenters who always have an opinion to share. One year ago, we had over 16,500 comments but now we have over 3x as many total comments (over 54,000).
The chinaSMACK 2 Year Anniversary Contest! – Contest is Over!
To celebrate our 2 year birthday, we are holding a small contest! This contest will involve many fun and interesting challenges for our most loyal readers and biggest fans to complete over the next two weeks…and many cool prizes:
First Place Prize (1):
Second Place Prize (2):
Third Place Prize (3) :
Additional Prizes (up to 20):
- 3 month Freedur VPN service, one prize available for every 20 contest contestants. Maximum 10 prizes.
- 1 month Freedur VPN service, one prize available for every 10 contest contestants. Maximum 10 prizes.
What do you have to do to win?
Challenges for our 2 year anniversary contest will be announced on our website, our RSS feed (RSS via email), our Twitter account, and our Facebook page (and maybe other places!) at any time during each day until the contest ends 2010 July 23 July 30. Successfully completing each challenge will earn you contest points. The contestants with the most total points at the end of the contest win the prizes. So, to increase your chances of winning, be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed, follow us on Twitter, and like us on Facebook!
Most of the challenges will be quick and easy to complete (i.e. answering a trivia question about chinaSMACK). However, some will be more difficult (i.e. doing something creative related to chinaSMACK). The more difficult the challenge, the more points that can be earned. Some challenges will have bonus point opportunities or be mini-contests with additional points or prizes to be won.
Enter the contest by first posting a comment below:
- Name: If you have a Twitter account, input your username (ex. “@yourname”) here. If you do not have a Twitter account but plan to do challenges we announce on Twitter, please sign up now and follow us @chinaSMACK. This is necessary for us to confirm you completing our challenges on Twitter. If you do not plan to do the challenges we plan to announce on Twitter, you can input your full name (recommended) or a nickname. You do not have to use your normal chinaSMACK commenting nickname (if you have one).
- Email: Be sure to enter your real email address. We will use this email to contact you when you win and arrange delivery of your prize.
- Web: If you have a Facebook profile, input your Facebook profile web address here. If you do not have a Facebook account but plan to do challenges we announce on our Facebook page, please sign up now, visit our Facebook page, and “like” us. This is necessary for us to confirm you completing our challenges on Facebook. If you do not plan to do the challenges we plan to announce on Facebook, you can input your Twitter profile (ex. “http://twitter.com/yourname”) web address, your website web address, or leave this blank.
- Comment Text: Since you cannot post a blank comment, please verify your Twitter and Facebook information by inputting your Twitter profile (ex. “http://twitter.com/yourname”), Facebook profile (ex. “http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=##”), and location (city, country) on separate lines here. If you will not be participating in challenges on Twitter and Facebook, just input where you are participating from (city, country).
- Please note that your comment/entry may not appear immediately. All entries will be manually reviewed before they will appear below. Please only submit your entry once.
Your comment here will be used to record all of the challenges you have completed and the points you have earned throughout the contest.
Some Contest Rules:
- Only properly entered contestants are eligible to earn contest points. One entry per person.
- Each challenge may only be completed once per contestant, unless otherwise stated.
- To be eligible for the first, second, and third place contest prizes, a winning contestant must have earned at least 50% of the total available contest points available.
- To be eligible for the Additional Prizes, winning contestants must have earned at least 50% of all available contest points available through non-Twitter and non-Facebook contest challenges.
- Contest begins 2010 July 9 and ends 2010 July 30 at 9:00am. All contest challenges must be completed before the end of the contest to be eligible for contest points, unless otherwise stated.
- Contest winners will be announced after 2 August 2010. Winners will be notified through the email addresses they used to enter the contest and will have one week to claim their prizes. chinaSMACK is not responsible for late responses or incorrect contestant email addresses.
- Disruptive people will be disqualified from the contest. This contest is for fun, a thank you to our readers and fans, so please have a positive attitude and encourage everyone to have fun.
Did you read the rules? Are you ready? Let’s begin!
Challenge #01 – Make this contest pretty!
Your first challenge is to add an avatar or profile picture to your contest entry comment here. Very simple, just go to Gravatar.com and follow the instructions. 4 points. +2 bonus points if your profile picture looks like mine (but is not mine).
The Contest So Far…
All contestant points are updated daily in your entry comment below. Fauna will post a comment below when new challenges are made available but you must find the challenge instructions on your own! Hint: They may be under a post, in our RSS feed (you can subscribe with email as well), on Twitter, Facebook, or sometimes elsewhere!
The total number of contest points available over 11 challenges on our website/RSS, our Twitter account, and our Facebook page was 112. The total number of bonus points available was 52. The total number of non-Twitter and non-Facebook contest points was 24 (12 points necessary to be eligible for Freedur VPN account prizes). The winners:
First Place: @phoebeyu (141 points)
Second Place: @krdr (137 points), Kedafu (84 points),
Third Place: Richard (81 points), jacob (71 points), @neokai (62 points),
Additional Prize Winners: Megumi Terui (27 points), juli_q (22 points), Yin Guan (12 points)